Wednesday 15 June 2016

Social Media

I've been sitting on this post for the last little while wondering whether or not to post it.  End of the day I came to the realisation that I blog for me and not for anyone else.

I will be the first to admit I am on my phone all the time.  It's with me 24/7 and unless I am with family/friends etc I keep my phone out of site and focus on the people I am with.  There has been the odd few times when I have been with friends and I have used my phone but for the most part I always try to be engaged in what is going on in front of me rather than on some 5 inch screen filled with strangers.

As much as I love screen/phone time I would much rather spend time with people I love and care about.  It does make it harder when sometimes the people you are with are just as addicted to their phones and their "social media"  life as you are that if anyone was to take a photo it would be one of very antisocial people faces in their phones sending a tweet,  doing a FB status update,  posting to instagram or even sending a snap chat.

I'm not judging anyone at all I guess these last few weeks it's made me realise what is and who is important to me.  It also to some degree makes me sad.  So much of what we share of our lives is broadcasted to social media.  Whether it's Facebook,  Twitter or Instagram.  I know I am guilty of doing that but (and there is always a but) at the same time I also still call friends/family (at least the ones I know who care and want to know)  to let them know what is going on with and for me.  I find it sad that if I want to know what is happening with family or friends that I have to go to social media and what gets me the most is that even when you do reach out you seem to go unnoticed.

I have had people come and go in my life both friends and family and even strangers who some have been amazing.  Some share with me.  Some let me share but end of the day for the most part the only people I've come to realise who you can rely on the most is family.  Family will always be there for you.  Whether it's immediate,  distant,  step they won't ever go anywhere.  I'm so grateful that for all the people who come and go in my life that the one thing that has always been constant for me is my family.  Don't get me wrong I have a couple of friends who have been there for me but end of the day my family will always be there.

I guess in sharing this post I wanted to send the message that,  yes social media is great and if used for positive reasons and influence it can be amazing.  I totally get that sharing your life with the hundreds or even thousands of followers can be fun and rewarding,  it's part of why I blog but at the same time I guess it's good to also remember that life doesn't always have to be a 'competition' of who can get the most likes,  retweets,  or even have the most followers.

Life is about living and enjoying the time we have with the people we love. I'm not saying social media is bad and I know for the most part the people we follow/talk to etc on social media are also people we know in real life so I know it has its benefits.  I guess at times we choose social media friends/family over the more 'real friends/family'.

If I have learnt anything it's that you don't always need to be on your phone.  There isn't anything wrong with taking time out and just switching off.  Living in the wops this last year with next to no service it's made me realise that I don't NEED my phone as much as I thought I did.

Time to take a step back from social media platforms for a bit I think.  If people really want to reach me they can do it the old fashioned way.  Call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment